Friday, June 29, 2012

Book of Love

Family fun: We write our own book.
My middle child turned six years old this week. She's a very bright and sweet girl, self-assured and quiet. Like me, she's a homebody and an introvert. I have looked  closely at her this week. Her growing up fills me with more emotion than I think I can handle.


I get nearly as emotional concerning my two other children, but our relationships are different. The older girl is, by virtue of being first-born, the one whose growing up is most comfortable for me. As she grows, so do I: it's like we are on an adventure together. My boy, now four, is a wonder because of his autism. Although he's the baby of the family, I think of him as a little man and see his growth as just filling into what I know he will be.

Then there's the wife. She and I are getting older. We feel middle age coming on. Our lives are not monotonous or boring, but rather stable and muted. This is good. In her, I still see the girl who used to link arms with me when we walk, the girl who got a certain twinkle in her eye whenever she saw a baby. She's come a long way in managing her depression and setting herself up for a transition from stay-at-home mom to working woman. She's as beautiful as ever.

I've become all meh on religion. There's too much God and Jesus stuff in the house, but I have more important matters to think about than the biblical blah-blah. I know everyone in the family but me is a believer and a Christian, but I won't be surprised if the religiosity slowly tones down to nothing in the coming years. My presence in the house must pose questions everyone has either to ignore or face:
  • Why isn't there any evidence in favor of God's existence?
  • Why don't facts about the world/universe lend themselves to God as an explanation?
  • Why is there no good evidence of miracles?
  • Why is there no good evidence of the extraordinary events concerning Jesus, such as his birth, miracles, and resurrection?
  • Why do the so-called proofs of God's existence and the apologies for Jewish and Christian doctrines fail to complete what ought to be clear slam-dunks?
Besides, all the "God loves you" and "Jesus wants you to bleh" stuff butts up against the reality of Christian doctrine: You are a sinner who better beg for forgiveness. The more polite expression of the doctrine is that humanity is fallen and needs grace to be reconciled, but my formulation is no less accurate and may be the truer representation of attitude.


In short, I have the luxury of being meh about religion. Eventually, everyone will have a WTF moment on this. If anyone cares to share the WTF with me, I'll be ready to listen.

    2 comments:

    1. “Why isn't there any evidence in favor of God's existence?”

      Which evidence in favor of God you would accept?

      “Why don't facts about the world/universe lend themselves to God as an explanation?”

      Which facts will lend you by themselves to God?

      “Why is there no good evidence of miracles?”

      Which would be for you good evidence of miracles?

      “Why is there no good evidence of the extraordinary events concerning Jesus, such as his birth, miracles, and resurrection?”

      What would you consider good evidence for that xtraordinary events? (Remember that the christian God is a hidden God. “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.")

      "Why do the so-called proofs of God's existence and the apologies for Jewish and Christian doctrines fail to complete what ought to be clear slam-dunks?"

      What would you a not failed proof of God? (Remember that the christian God is a hidden God. “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.")

      ReplyDelete
    2. Chesterton,

      You seem to think there's evidence for the existence of God? Terrific. What is it, and what is its evidentiary value?

      I understand you think I'm close-minded. You think that there is evidence but I don't accept it. Maybe you think I "want" there not to be a God--that I am pre-disposed to rule against God.

      Nevertheless, why don't you take a chance and present the evidence and then follow it by connecting the dots from evidence to explanation (i.e., how it implies the existence of God specifically)?

      What have you got to lose?

      ReplyDelete

    Feel free to comment if you have something substantial and substantiated to say.